Sunday, February 27, 2011

Birthday fun...in Texas!!

Another reason I am a lucky girl is that I have AWESOME in-laws! I have known Nick's family almost as long as I have known Nick, and I look forward to the time we get to spend together!

Jenny (Nick's sister), Tim, Ryan, Alyssa, and Brianna live in Texas. We do not get to see them as much as we'd like, and the holidays this year did not give us quite enough time together! I wanted to do something special for Nick's 30th birthday, so I half-surprised him with a weekend in Texas! (I say "half-surprised" because I was too scared to actually buy the plane tickets without talking to him first, so I spilled the beans!) Tim realized that our trip coincided with the KU vs. Baylor game, so Tim and Jenny gave us tickets to the game and a hotel room for our birthdays - SUCH a great gift! We extended our trip by one day (for only $12!!), and the timing worked perfectly!

I left work a few minutes early on Friday, and we hit the road to the airport! We were in TX by 10:00 pm!

Saturday we got up early and went to Ryan's basketball game! SO SO SO fun to watch him skip run around the court! We showered up and went to The MAT to watch the KU vs. Nebraska game and to meet some of Nick's friends from Lawrence (who also live in TX). The game was a bit of a nail-biter, but we WON: )

 Pals in the car!

 Getting ready to watch the game!

 Rock Chalk!!

Jayhawk puppet!!

After the game, we headed back to Tim and Jenny's to relax for a little bit. I also went for a 6-mile run because I had assured Natalie that I would run during my trip! It was AWESOME to run outside!!!

Saturday night we went to BJ's Brewhouse for dinner! The food was yummy, and the company was excellent: ) After dinner, we went to a nearby bar, and the girls chatted and the boys played pool.



Sunday was a day of relaxing and napping! After eating lunch from Freebirds, I did head outside for a short walk with Max! 


For dinner, we ate at a Mexican restaurant, and it was SO yummy! The best part = the sangria swirls! 




After dinner, we went to the bowling alley for Tim and Jenny's bowling league. Nick and I played some games in the arcade, and  then we bowled a few games with Jenny and Tim. Let's just say that I'm still not very good at bowling: (










Monday morning I went for a 4-mile run, and then we packed our bags to head to Waco for our last night of fun! After freshening up at the AWESOME hotel, we tried to find a place to eat. Waco is NOT a booming metropolis, so it took us a while to find anything: ( After dinner, we watched KU beat Baylor, 85-65. There were SO many KU fans! The place was packed...until halftime when most of the Baylor fans left! We returned to the restaurant for a few beers and shuffleboard! SO fun!!!



This trip was a reminder of why we always look forward to spending time with the Lairds! Thank you, Jenny and Tim! We always have a great time making memories together! Nick and I can't wait for our next trip to TX!

1 comment:

claire said...

i spy your blue headband! very cute. i tried to wear mine to work one day & it squeezed my brain to the point of headachiness, so i had to take it off. looooooove you.