Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mrs. Lauren Marie Wilkinson Adams

I had a few minutes to spare, so I looked up how to change my name. I found some good info here.

Here is their list "of four basic steps to new-name nirvana."
1. Get Proof

Arm yourself with a certified marriage license -- be sure it has a raised seal, which means it's authentic. Call the office where your license was filed to get copies if they aren't automatically sent to you.

2. Set Social Security Straight
Contact the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213; an automated system will talk you through the name change process. Your new card will be free -- if you're contacted by a company that claims to do this for a fee, don't buy it. These companies have nothing to do with the SSA and should be reported to authorities.

3. Motor on Down to the DMV
Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles, which requires you to make a personal appearance (read: wait in line). Bring a book to read and every form of identification you can lay your hands on. No matter what, do not forget your certified marriage license.

4. Fill in the Blanks
Once you have a social security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some institutions only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Be sure to notify:
Friends and family
Post office
Phone company and other utilities
Banks and other financial institutions
Credit card companies
Schools and alumni associations
Voter registration
Passport (Do not do this before the wedding -- your passport name must match the name on your ticket and all other travel documents! It's easier to take your honeymoon with your maiden name.)
Mortgages and leases
Insurance policies
Magazine subscriptions

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like too much:) good luck! You are more organized than I would have been you will have to keep the notes for me.

Love j