Thursday, June 24, 2010

North Carolina Anniversary Trip - Friday

I had a few weeks between my last day of teaching and my first day of my summer class, so Nick and I scheduled an anniversary trip for our first anniversary! We decided to visit NC, so we could celebrate our anniversary and spend time with my grandparents! We had SO SO SO much fun! It felt like we hadn't spent much time together because I was so busy at the end of the school year, and this gave us a chance to relax!

We reached NC late on a Thursday night - in fact, it was actually Friday morning (after 12AM) when reached our hotel! Friday morning we went straight to my grandparents' house in Tryon, NC. My grandparents' house and the surrounding area is probably my most favorite place in the world! It is BEAUTIFUL and so peaceful! Tryon is so close to SC, so we visited both states during our (too-short) stay.

Tryon on the map!


Tryon Horse


I LOVE hugs, and it was SO good to hug my grandparents: ) Nick and I were not able to make it out to NC last summer, so I hadn't seen them since our trip in 2008!

After a yummy lunch - with Klondike bars for dessert! - Nick and I made our way to Victoria Valley Vineyards for a tasting! I enjoyed the wines more than Nick did, but we agreed that the atmosphere was AWESOME!

Overlooking some of the tiered landscape!


Nick taking pics with his phone: )


Parking Lot Pic


Vineyards


After our tasting, we purchased a glass to enjoy on the terrace. We are people watchers, and we always wonder what other people's lives our like. The other people on the terrace appeared to be local people who just have this little vineyard/deli tucked away in their neighborhood. It was a Friday afternoon, so it was clear that some of the people were starting the weekend with a glass of wine on the terrace with a friend or spouse. We definitely wish there was something like this right by our house in Lawrence, but I think we'll have to keep dreaming: (

The rest of this day was unbelievable! When planning our vacation, we decided to splurge for our anniversary! We stayed at La Bastide in Traveler's Rest, SC.


After dropping our stuff off in our room (which we found out is the most requested room and is Kurt Russell's favorite room!), we headed down for wine and cheese! We snuggled on the couch and filled up on flavorful cheeses, crackers, walnuts, fruit...and wine: ) There were some other guests there, but the quickly left because they were preparing for a wedding at the inn the following evening. We went for a walk in order to see the full landscape and to see the vineyards!

Vineyard


Grapes


We headed back up to our room to freshen up before our dinner reservation, and we took a look at the pantry full of food and drinks: )

View from our room - SO pretty!


Guest Pantry: )


Dinner at La Bastide was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had! SO SO SO good! We were the only ones there for a while, so we had the waiter's full attention. We shared a bottle of wine, and we both decided on the seared filet mignon. It was one of the best steaks I have ever had, and I can't even begin to describe the potatoes! The chef came out to talk with us, and he told us about this easy video recipe! I haven't tried to make it yet - because it looks a little more difficult and time consuming than I had hoped: (

YUM!


Happy anniversary!!


When we reached our room after dinner, there were candles and chocolates waiting for us! We were surprised and delighted: ) I am so happy we chose La Bastide - I can't think of a better way to celebrate our first year together!

No comments: